Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Help With Grieving

I've noticed so far that there are certain things I KNOW will trigger an emotional reaction for me. Things that are reminders of Jacques: maybe a particular event, song, place, person, word...the list goes on and on. And then there are triggers that UNEXPECTEDLY cause a reaction...

One such happening: I drove to Hammond last week to meet up with my friend who recently lost her dad. As I was pulling off the interstate down the Hammond exit, I was suddenly overcome. With what? It's hard to describe. Sadness? Not only. Wistfulness? Perhaps. Gratitude? Somewhat. Sense of loss? A bit. Overcome...with...emotion... is the best description I can give.

Nearly every time I went to Hammond for the past couple years, I was visiting Jacques. Funny that I didn't think of how going back might affect me!

I pulled up to PJ's where I was meeting my friend and let myself cry a little in the parking lot. Then I looked across the street and saw Raising Cane's...the unit Jacques worked at. And I cried some more.

I decided I wanted to stop by later. I knew it would be challenging, but I also knew it was something I needed. After visiting with my friend, I headed into the store where I was able to meet some of Jacques' coworkers and his manager, and see the memorial they made for him.

Great memorial for Jacques in the hallway at Hammond Cane's :) 

I was supposed to leave to meet another friend, but we had a change of plans which turned out to be a blessing in disguise! Travis, one of Jacques' best friends, was working; it was his first day back at Cane's since the accident. He was leaving and we ended up visiting for a while. Just swapping stories and laughing about Jacques.

It was incredibly healing and uplifting for me (and I hope for him as well). Lots of goodness. God has the best plan!
















No comments:

Post a Comment