The news might not tell us so.

But they are.
Maybe we need to reconstruct our concept of humanity. By starting to notice the good in the people around us, in the real world, instead of the bad that is plastered all over the news headlines and everywhere. (Ok, I know there is evil in the world but the evil likes to flaunt itself and the good often is overlooked. Sometimes it's harder to find...but boy, is it there.)
A couple weeks ago, I was driving down my little street in Covington when I noticed a big garbage truck up ahead. As I slowed down to creep around the truck, I happened to witness the smallest but most heartwarming of interactions.
A middle-aged man had walked to the end of his driveway, carrying a tray with a pitcher of ice-cold water for the waste management workers. He had a smile on his face and the workers, covered in sweat (this was before our cool front) seemed quite grateful. Such a ordinary act of kindness, but it brought extraordinary joy to my day (and I am sure to the workers' day as well).
When we start to become weary of the looming evil in the world, we need to open our eyes and ask to see the beauty, truth, and goodness that is right under our noses.
And then, we need to share it. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment