So this took a little longer than expected, but here is Part 2 of my "campaign for the movement against human trafficking". If you haven't read Part 1, please do!
...
The following statistics are heavy, very heavy. But I encourage you to read because, just like the horror of abortion, human trafficking does not warrant turning your face away in disgust. These are our children, our women, our boys, our girls who are crying out to be rescued. If we do not respond, who will? I sadly admit my opinion that the average Joe (starting with myself) needs to do more in the battle against human trafficking. Many, especially Catholics, are zealous for the lives of the pre-born (and I believe the tide is turning! Though still not great, China's one-child policy is finally down! Whoohoo!) but let's not forget the people already born- experiencing slavery, abuse, and certain death if we do nothing.
Did you know that the average age of children brought into the sex trafficking industry is 13 years old? The director of the movie 8 Days said that the youngest case he's encountered is 2 YEARS OLD. In Texas, I think it was. Thank God, the child was rescued.
Did you know that the maximum life expectancy for trafficked minors is 7 years? This is due to extensive physical abuse, suicide, or substance overdose. But wait, the cruelty doesn't end with death. Afterwards the victims' organs are trafficked.
Did you know that human trafficking is more lucrative than drug trafficking because people can be sold over and over again, while drugs can only be sold once. It is becoming the leading industry in the United States of America!
Did you know that last year, slave traders (around the world) made about THIRTY-TWO BILLION DOLLARS. That's more than Nike, Google, and Starbucks COMBINED (louisianacoalitionagainsthumantrafficking). Keep in mind that this number encompasses all forms of human trafficking (slave labor, sex trafficking, etc.)
I didn't know this one, and don't know the source, but the director said it is factual, backed by evidence, that Planned Parenthood is DIRECTLY linked to the sex trafficking industry in the United States. Not surprising.
Did you know that only 1% of cases of minor sex trafficking are reported?
...
Ok well stay tuned because I will post again soon with what YOU can do to fight against this hidden and evil crime in our midst. I will give tips on how to recognize signs of trafficking as well as how to get involved more actively with fighting this crime. As always, the most powerful and universal form of activism is PRAYER and LOVE! Love the people in front of you because Love conquers evil...and so a little love in a little way spreads the universal kingdom of Love in the world! And do not despair (in anything) because that doesn't get you or anyone else anywhere. Sometimes I see all the suffering and hate and evil in the world and it seems like too much to bear. And the ONLY WAY I can function is by remembering that it IS too much to bear. And that's why Jesus came...He already bore it all and through His suffering brings GRACE into ALL SUFFERING. So that's what we pray for in general. :-) Ahhh there's so many little things to do to fight human trafficking...I can't wait to share them all! And remember, to reminisce with an old childhood song, "He's got the whole world in His Hands!" Haha!
No comments:
Post a Comment