First off, here's a link to my friend Ann's blog about her experience coming to Ignite Your Torch Northwest. She's one of the "Kentuckians" who came over to help get our first conference off to a good start! She chronicles a bit of what happens during the few mad days before the conference: http://www.annsnewleaf.blogspot.com/
I can't believe it's been a month and a half since I flew to Washington. And the days keep flying by...Some of you may be wondering what I'm doing up here. I wonder myself sometimes. ;) Lately, we've been working hard to get the youth ministries up and running for this school year. They begin this week...keep us and the kids in your prayers please!
Fidelis/Fraternus begins on Wednesday. Fidelis is for girls and Fraternus is for boys (mostly junior high age) and they encourage growth in virtue and fellowship. It's a really beautiful ministry and we're excited to help out! http://youth.starofthesea.net/for-girls-fidelis/about-fidelis/
http://youth.starofthesea.net/fraternus/aboutfraternus/
Today, the Confirmation program kicks off. I'm actually not feeling well so I stayed back, but my missionary partner Emma's got it covered. ;) She is the coordinator for the Confirmation and peer leaders (high schoolers who take leadership positions) programs. She is from Ohio and has a clear calling to devote herself to youth ministry. She has impressive leadership skills and gives great talks! She also has creative ideas for activities...so blessed to have her help with the high school youth ministry! Emma has a beautifully down-to-earth relationship with God and her favorite line is "can I smack you?" ha! She's a blessing to me. :)
![]() |
| Emma, Fr. Bryce Sibley, Fr. Lappe at Ignite Your Torch conference. Photo compliments of Emma :) |
Meet Father Lappe: elk-hunter/super healthy eater/cross-fit enthusiast/parish priest version of Pier Giorgio Frassati. While he's my ultimate boss, I don't see much of him. He's a busy man. And a very interesting one.
Josh Johnson is my more immediate boss. He's awesome. He's the coordinator for Emma and my positions, and is involved in some way in basically everything. ha! Josh is the reason for the IYT conference in Washington. He is also responsible for most of the youth activity in the parish. I am sooo blessed to be working for him! He's easy to talk to and receptive to my concerns, ideas, questions, etc; and he has a zeal for souls and a heart of joy that is contagious. He is married to Katie (who is sweet and kind and serene and beautiful) and they have 4 year old twin balls of cute energy (Josh and Lizzie) and dear little Julianna. We recently hopped over to Victoria, Canada and Shaw Island, WA with their family...more to come on that later!
I'm leading the high school youth ministry (Ignite) and will be helping lead the middle school program (Sparks). I will also lead a college-age women's bible study. :) The first two programs will be on Sundays (starting the 15th) and the bible study will be on Tuesday evenings. I'm a little nervous about leading the youth ministry, so prayers are appreciated! It's so new to me! I'm excited though. I'm really looking forward to the girls' group...I hosted/coordinated one for 2 years at LSU for my fellow college students and I loved doing it!
Our Sundays are going to be very busy! Mass, then Confirmation/Middle School, and then Youth Group in the evenings. Monday will be our day off.
Emma and I will also be eating lunches in the school cafeteria (starting next week), going to occasional dinners at families' homes, attending different events for the kids (sports/recitals/etc), going to conferences, retreats, random cool Catholic and youth things...
We are still staying with the Grays. The Grays are a beautiful family who have generously hosted us- pretty much since we've been here. They have four girls ages 17-23 who all sing/play instruments/act/are funny and sweet and great. Two of the girls, Becca and Jenny, still live at home and have been such a gift to get to know. Jenny is finishing up high school and loves books, movies, music, etc. We have good conversations. :) Becca just finished up a year with NET ministries! She exudes the joy of Christ. Mr. and Mrs. Gray are reallly funny! They are incredibly giving people and so kind.
![]() |
| Left to right: Meghan (engaged and teaching in Midwest,), Kim(at college in Seattle and working at her Newman center), Becca and Jenny. (picture compliments of Maria!(their Mom)) |
Our house will be ready on September 19! I'm excited to move closer to church and our office, and to be settled. :) It's a tiny white house that needs a bit of work but will serve us well. We walked through it a few days ago. It has a basement! (Foreign concept to this girl) ha. Will get pictures up soon!
Well, that's enough for now! Keep posted for a post (well that's redundant) about our trip to Shaw Island. :) I love y'all and would love to hear from y'all! You can send mail to:
Our Lady Star of the Sea
1513 6th Street
Bremerton, WA
98337
Blessings and peace upon you! <3




Angelle! I was so happy to read this post! The Fidelis/Fraternus groups look amazing! I love the idea of separate groups of girls and guys with virtue formation and mentors! (its even better than what TORCH is doing down here! lol!) I almost wish I were a teenager again and I could be part of Fidelis. Lol! I will want to hear about how the first night on Wednesday goes. :)
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you have encountered so many beautiful people and families so far! A picture is worth a thousand words!